Now well past its prime, the Habarana Lake is not the grand tank it once was but the diminished water levels have since contributed to an eco-system inhabited by thirsty Elephants making visits to quench their thirst and a stunning variety of bird species. This has led the area to be a prime location for Birdwatching in Sri Lanka.
Your tour will start at 6.30 AM – 7.30 AM or 3.30 PM – 4.30 PM from an eco-lodge near the Habarana Junction (Exact details enclosed at booking confirmation).
Journey along the lake bank as you inspect the surrounding area in hope of catching glimpses of resident, migratory and endemic birds that reside among the trees or in the lake.
Your friendly bird watching guide will make it his mission to ensure that the most number of species are spotted in your exploration. Birds flitting far away from the naked eye can be easily viewed with the use of the binoculars provided to you or from the monocular bird spotting telescope that will be adjusted and aimed by your guide.
The area is widely considered to be a hotspot for bird watching in Sri Lanka as sightings of around 120 bird species have occurred during birdwatching in Habarana. Prominent sightings include the viewing of the Sri Lankan Grey Hornbill, Sri Lankan Green Pigeon, Coppersmith Barbet, Red Vented Bulbul, Indian Cormorant, Little Cormorant, Oriental Darter, Spotted Dove, White Bellied Sea Eagle, Common Iora, Pheasant Tailed Jacana, Brahminy Kite, Small Minivet, Black Hooded Oriole, Grey Breasted Prinia, Crested Tree Swift and many more.
There are 9 endemic bird species to the area who are the Brown Capped Babbler, Black-capped Bulbul, Sri Lankan Jungle Fowl, Sri Lankan Green Pigeon, Sri Lankan Wood Shrike, Sri Lankan Swallow, Crimson Backed Flameback Woodpecker and Lesser Sri Lankan Flameback Woodpecker.
Your birdwatching tour in Habarana will last for 2 hours from your starting time. Upon completion, you will be returning back to your starting point at the eco-lodge, where you can safely return to your vehicle.
- Services of a Qualified, English Speaking Birdwatching Guide/Naturalist
- Binoculars (per person for maximum 2 PAX)
- Private tour of 2 hours
- Viewing by Monocular Bird Spotting Telescope (Adjusted and aimed by your guide)
- All taxes and service charges
- Transportation to/from starting location (Eco-lodge near Habarana Junction)
- Food or Beverages
- Tips or portages
- Any expenses of personal natures
- Starting location will be an eco-lodge near Habarana Junction, exact details of location and emergency contact person will be provided on the booking confirmation.
- Do state the desired starting time in the ‘Notes’ section during confirming your booking, the earlier the starting time, the greater the chances of bird spotting.
- Be sure to bring your professional camera (if possible) along with its variety of lenses.
- Wear soft, lightly colored clothing that blends with nature.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
Habarana Junction, HabaranaGet Directions
Terms and Conditions
Cancellation, No Show and Refund Policy Cancellation must be in writing and sent by you/your travel agent who made the booking. Cancellations take effect from the date the written notice is received. No refund in full or in part will be given for unutilized services in the package(s) once you commence using the product or service. • Up to 3 days before the Activity starts – Fixed processing fee of USD 30.00 and the balance will be refunded. In case of a refund to be made via an international bank transfer, all bank fees to be borne by the guest. A refund to the credit card is subject to the above processing fee only. • Less than 3 days and in case of “No Show” – No Refunds. • No refunds will be entertained under whatsoever condition once the guest arrives in Sri Lanka. • We reserve the right to cancel your holiday because of unforeseen circumstances.